Updated: Jan 24, 2019
I tend to depart from instant fixes. I think that anything that starts with a number followed by a promise will fall short.
But these are things that I’ve seen over the years in my practice, in reading, and searching for the answers to address my sometimes sketchy self image.
Do these. Just to them. I've done them. They work.
1) Smile: It tells your brain you’re happy.
2) Expect: I live by the wonderful song by the Grateful Dead, “I Need A Miracle Every Day.” Expect one. They are literally everywhere.
3) Visualize: See life as you want it. Condo in San Francisco? Keep that vision in your head and, preferably, posted on your bathroom mirror.
4) Know: Joe Namath had a quote: “I can hardly wait until tomorrow because I get better looking every day.” Put that on your mirror, too.
5) Receive: Let me throw The Book at you: “Whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” Mark, 11:24. That Mark guy, one smart son of a bitch.
6) Exhale Gratitude: I wear a bracelet on my left wrist with that phrase. I wear that instead of my watch, and yet I look at it reflexively as if I am looking for the time. Practice on being grateful for constipation, bratty kids, bad grades, bounced checks, crappy traffic, hangovers, increasing waistline and decreasing hairline, and the rest of the day is a piece of cake.